Updated: December 2, 2015
- Book hotels as early as possible – especially for December to March when the best resorts can be fully booked months in advance.
- Kata Beach and Karon Beach are two wonderful beach towns that have a very family friendly vibe and beautiful sandy beaches. Kata is the quieter of the two.
- Patong is the main tourist town in Phuket. It has a seedy feel in parts but is not terrible. There are better areas to stay for families but I wouldn’t say Patong is a no-go area (though after dark it becomes more unpleasant). Jung Ceylon is the best and biggest mall on Phuket and a good fallback if the streets of Patong feel too sleazy for your tastes.
- The Centara West Sands Resort has a wonderful water park. I highly recommend a short stay here for great family fun. But since it’s somewhat secluded more than a day or two is probably too long. You can also visit the water park as non-guests (it’s about a 50 minute drive north from Patong, Karon, and Kata).
- Phuket Fantasea, Phuket Aquarium, and the Phuket Dino Park Mini Golf are 3 fun kid-friendly attractions in Phuket. Siam Safari is the best for elephant treks on Phuket.
- The best weather on Phuket is from December to April when it’s dry, sunny, and the beaches are great for swimming. The wet season runs from May to October when the sea gets rough and is often unsafe for swimming. September and October are the rainiest months. During the wet season Koh Samui is often a better choice if you’re after good beach weather.
The 20 Best Kid-Friendly Hotels in Phuket
Holiday Inn Phuket Resort (luxury) – Patong
The most family-friendly hotel in Patong. Great kids club, 3 swimming pools (2 that are very kid-friendly), a play area, and a water slide. Just across from the beach and perfect location for shopping the Patong malls and markets. Patong itself can feel a little seedy but never rowdy or crazy (at least before 10pm). Phone: +66 76 370-200
Patong Merlin Hotel Phuket (moderate) – Patong
Siam Palm Apartments (moderate) – Patong
2 bedroom apartments are spacious and have fully equipped kitchens. Pool area has lots of shade (maybe too much if you’re really looking for sun but perfect for kids). Good location for restaurants. Phone: +66 76 290-402
Andaman Seaview Hotel (moderate) – Karon
Bauman Casa Resort (budget) – Karon
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort (luxury) – Kata
Boathouse by Montara (luxury) – Kata
Centara Kata Resort Phuket (moderate) – Kata
Family suites are huge (1 king bed and 3 singles) and have a kitchenette. Kids club is nice for kids younger than 7 or 8. There are 3 pools (one is an adult pool, another has water slides). Free shuttle to the beach but the walk isn’t far. Phone: +66 76 370 300
Banyan Tree Phuket (luxury) – Bang Thao
Huge 2-bedroom villas (some with private pool). Great if you’re after a semi-secluded family getaway. Far from Phuket’s touristy spots in the south (which may be good or bad). Bicycles available and several restaurants and beach bars are within an easy walk or cycle. The beach here is wonderful. Great kid-friendly pool. Phone: +66 76 372-400
Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket (luxury) – Bang Thao
One bedroom suites and two-bedroom villas (with private pool) are both good for families. A couple of baby elephants roam along the beach (usually in the morning). Pool is huge and kid-friendly. Phone: +66 76 362 999
JW Marriott Resort & Spa (luxury) – Mai Khao
Centara West Sands Resort (moderate) – Mai Khao
Suites are huge and have full kitchens. Free access to the fantastic water park Splash Jungle which is part of the resort. There’s not a lot nearby so I wouldn’t stay here for longer than 2 or 3 days but the water slides make it a very fun treat for the kids. (The photo at the top of this page is my 2 kids swimming in one of the Centara’s pools.) Phone: +66 76 372-000
More Hotels for Families
These hotels have large family rooms.
- Sunwing Resort – Kamala Beach (Kamala)
Huge family suites. 7 outdoor pools, waterslides, and a small playground. Kids love this place.
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Resort & Villas (Bang Tao)
1 and 2 bedrooms with kitchenettes. Great pools and kids club.
- Kamala Beachfront Apartment (Kamala)
2 bedroom apartments with kitchens.
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket (Karon)
1 and 2 bedroom villas with private pool. Huge resort with pools and water slides.
- Holiday Inn Phuket Beach Resort (Mai Khao)
Large family and 2 bedroom suites. Nice property (but remote).
- Duangjitt Resort Phuket (Patong)
Large family suites, wonderful pool.
- Friendship Beach Waterfront Resort (Rawai)
1 and 2 bedroom suites with breakfast.
- The Chava Resort Phuket (Surin)
Huge 2 bedroom apartments and 4 and 5 bedroom suites that sleep 10.
- Best Western Phuket Ocean Resort (Karon)
Deluxe family rooms with free breakfast. Good value.