Updated: October 17, 2016
Tips and Recommendations
- Hotelscombined.com – Best website for hotel deals in New York City.
- Book early! New York is an all-year destination for families and the large family rooms get reserved months in advance – When is the best time to visit New York City?
- Where should families stay in NYC? If you’re close to a subway stop you’ll generally be fine. My favorite locations are Midtown (a large area packed with iconic sights, skyscrapers, and people – try to be within a few blocks east or west of Broadway), SoHo (slightly slower pace than Midtown but still plenty of shops, restaurants, bars, and cafes), Greenwich Village and nearby Chelsea (hip with a neighborhood feel and great restaurants).
- The best luxury hotels for families are the Lowell Hotel and the Le Parker Meridien.
- The best budget hotels for families are the Travel Inn and Skyline Hotel.
- The best restaurants for kids are Serendipity (kid-friendly meals and huge delicious desserts), Shake Shack (several in the city, but the outdoor one in Madison Square Park is the most fun), John’s Pizzeria (no slices, but whole pies are awesome at this Greenwich Village institution), Broome Street Bar (good food, desserts, and beer at this friendly SoHo bar that’s been here since 1972), Eataly (loads of great Italian food in a loud kid-friendly environment), and New York Beer Company (good pub grub and draft beer at one of the few restaurants near Times Square that isn’t loaded with tourists).
- Most hotels will help find a babysitter but if it’s essential contact The Babysitter’s Guild (sitters are licensed and insured).
The 10 Best Kid-Friendly Hotels in New York City
1. Lowell Hotel – luxury
More like a home than a hotel. Generously sized rooms on upper east side – close to Central Park, shopping, and Museum Mile. Suites have kitchenettes or full-size kitchens. Some have terraces and many have working fireplaces. Service is friendly and second to none. Although there is no pool, babysitting services are available and Central Park is just a block away. Phone: 212-838-1400
2. Sofitel New York – luxury
3. Le Parker Meridien – luxury
Cartoons playing in the elevator will take you to modern, unique, and spacious rooms and suites. Central Park, Carnegie Hall, and Broadway shows all within walking distance. Enclosed rooftop pool has fantastic views. Two kid-friendly restaurants on-site: Burger Joint and Norma’s for breakfast. Phone: 212-245-5000
4. Langham Place Fifth Avenue – luxury
The Family One Bedroom Residence with King Bed, Sofa Bed, and Kitchen is probably the most luxurious kid-friendly suite in the city. Great location close to Times Square but just far enough away to escape the chaos. Phone: 212-695-4005
5. TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South – moderate
6. Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square – moderate
Kids love the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies that await them upon arrival. Parents will love the central location in Times Square, surrounded by Broadway theaters yet still walking distance to Central Park. An all-suite hotel each room has a microwave and mini-fridge and there’s a kid’s menu for room-service. Suites easily fit a family of 5. Phone: 212-719-1600
7. Sohotel – moderate
8. Millenium Hilton – moderate
A family-friendly gem in Lower Manhattan. Wall Street, the 9/11 Memorial, Brooklyn Bridge, and ferries to the Statue of Liberty are nearby. Subway just out the door. Standard rooms are comfortable and stylish or upgrade to a suite and enjoy extra space with separate sleep and living spaces. Glass-enclosed heated pool is very kid-friendly. Phone: 212-693-2001
9. Skyline Hotel – budget
A great budget hotel for families in Midtown Manhattan with $10/day parking (very cheap for NY). Kids will love the heated indoor pool. Rooms are basic but recently renovated and a good size in this price range. Fridges in every room. Phone: 212-586-3400
10. Travel Inn Hotel New York – budget
Large outdoor pool is great in summer. Rooms are simple and clean. Triples and quadruples available. Location on 42nd Street is walking distance to subway and Times Square. Hotel has free wifi and parking. Phone: 212-695-7171
Family Hotels Near Times Square
- Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square
Large suites with fridge and microwave in the heart of Times Square.
- Tryp Times Square South
Large family suites. 7 minute walk to Times Square.
- The Westin New York at Times Square
Large rooms and suites. Connecting rooms. 1 minute from Times Square.
- Hilton Times Square
Right in the center of Times Square. Rooms are spacious and many have great city views.
- Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
Walking distance to Times Square but removed enough to get a break from the busyness. Less expensive than the Hilton Times Square but similar quality.
- The Hampton Inn Times Square North
Large simple rooms at an affordable price. A 6 minute walk to Times Square and 12 minutes to Central Park. Free breakfast.
- Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan Times Square South
Great “budget” hotel for the Times Square area. Free wifi. 10 minutes to Times Square.
Family Hotels Near Central Park
- Hotel Beacon
Large 1-bedroom suites, kitchenettes, laundry. Upper West Side, close to park and express subway to Times Square.
- Loews Regency Hotel
Large 1-bedroom suites with kitchenettes. 3 minutes from Central Park on the Upper East Side. Reopened January, 2013 after $100 million renovation.
- Affinia Gardens
Very popular with families. One and two bedroom suites with kitchens. 10 minutes from central park.
- The Milburn Hotel
Great budget hotel for families. 1-bedrooms have small kitchenettes.
- Salisbury Hotel
Dated but large rooms easily fit a family of 5. One and two bedroom suites. Two minutes to Central Park.
- AKA Central Park
1 and 2-bedroom suites with full kitchens, living and dining areas. 1 minute to Central Park.
More Hotels for Families in NYC
These are all triples, quads, or large family rooms that can sleep 4 or more.
- Affinia Dumont NYC (Murray Hill, moderate)
Quads and one bedroom suites.
- Affinia Fifty NYC (Midtown East, moderate)
Quads and one bedroom suites.
- Affinia Shelburne NYC (Murray Hill, moderate)
Quads and one bedroom suites.
- Radio City Apartments (Midtown, moderate)
One and two bedroom apartments in the Theatre District, some with kitchen.
- San Carlos Hotel (Midtown East, moderate)
Deluxe quads and one bedroom suites (with kitchenettes).
- Best Western Plus Hospitality House (Midtown East, moderate)
One and two bedroom suites.
- Eastgate Tower (Murray Hill, budget)
One and two bedroom suites can sleep up to 7 – all with full kitchen.
Hotels with Swimming Pools
Recommended and Helpful Links
- New York City with Kids – The 45 best things to do
- The Best Time of Year to Visit New York City
- The 100 Best Restaurants in New York
- How To Ride the Subway – Excellent video (5 minutes long)
- The Real NYC Subway Map – Fun and opinionated
- 10 Broadway Musicals for Kids
- The 25 Best Playgrounds and 10 Best Beaches
- The 10 Best Desserts and 10 Best Ice Cream Shops in New York
- Events: Music • Theater • Movies • Food