Update: October 3, 2016
Tips and Recommendations
- HotelsCombined.com – The best website for finding hotel deals in Koh Samui.
- The best time to visit Koh Samui is from mid-December until early September. The driest and sunniest weather is from January until March or April. October and November are the rainiest months on Koh Samui (though you will find some incredible hotel deals).
- The best towns for families are Chaweng (great beach, lots of shopping, restaurants, nightlife), Choeng Mon (quiet town with a handful of restaurants, great beach with shallow water), Bophut (good beach, night market, hip shops, and restaurants).
- Chaweng has the most nightclubs and beach bars but it never feels inappropriate for kids. The Ark Bar and neighboring clubs on the beach pound out the music until the early morning but that scene is easy to avoid and even that area is fairly kid-friendly through the day and early evening. Walk 5 minutes north or south from Ark Bar and Chaweng is very family-friendly.
- Best Restaurants for Families: Prego (Italian restaurant in Chaweng) and H Bistro (French and Western food in Bophut) are two great restaurants that are still kid-friendly.
- The best family resort on Koh Samui is the Four Seasons – the only caveat is that it’s secluded and somewhat isolated. If you want luxury that’s walking distance to shops and restaurants then go with the Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui.
- If you’re on a budget then World Resort Bungalows in Bophut is great and sits right on the beach.
The Best Kid-Friendly Hotels on Koh Samui
Four Seasons Koh Samui – luxury
Tucked away in a quiet corner of the island, the Four Seasons is the nicest resort on Koh Samui. It has an amazing swimming pool, private beach, and one of the island’s best restaurants. The kids club is great and has lots of fun and adventurous activities. One, two, three, and four bedroom villas are available. Privacy, seclusion, and luxury are the themes here but the hotel retains a very family-friendly feel. Phone: +66 (77) 243-000
Banyan Tree Samui – luxury
The Family Ocean Pool Villa is as stunning as it sounds and has 2 twin, 1 sofa bed, and 1 queen bed. Set on a hill a buggy helps guests get around the property. The kids’ club and spa are among the best on the island. If you’re looking for a luxurious vacation this is the place to find it. Located about halfway between Lamai and Chaweng beaches. Phone: +66 77 915 333
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui (luxury) – Chaweng
The best family resort on lively Chaweng Beach. A great kids’ club and fantastic swimming pool. The beach here is on Chaweng’s nicest stretch of sand. Lots to do through the day and fun day trips are easy to arrange from Chaweng. If you want a wide range of places to eat then Chaweng (or Bophut) is where you want to be and the Centara is an easy walk to many restaurants. The spa is top-notch. Phone: +66 (77) 230-500
Imperial Boat House Beach Resort (moderate) – Choeng Mon
A super kid-friendly resort on Koh Samui’s most kid-friendly beach (Choeng Mon). Free kayaks, snorkels, and flippers available for guests. A fun play area for kids and a great swimming pool. Rooms are large or stay at one of the converted teak rice barges. (The boats sit in the garden not the sea.) The breakfast buffet is very good and there are 2 pools (the main one is huge). Phone: +66 (77) 425-041
World Resort Bungalows (budget) – Bophut
Large triples and interconnecting rooms are great for families. Nice pool, free wi-fi, tasty breakfast. The beach is great (though it does get narrow during high tide) and the water is calm, shallow, and perfect for kids. Located in Bophut so the very fun Fisherman’s Village is a 10 minute walk down the beach. Phone: +66 (77) 42-5355-6
More Hotels with Large Family Rooms
- Hansar Samui Resort & Spa – Bophut
My favorite hotel on beautiful Bophut beach. Awesome restaurant and close to Fisherman’s Village.
- Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa – Bophut
Next door to the Hansar. More kids and families here.
- Smile House Resort Koh Samui – Bophut
2-bedroom family bungalows. Right in the heart of Fisherman’s Village. 2 great pools.
- Ibis Bophut Samui Hotel – Bophut
Family Rooms have bunk beds for 2 kids. Nice pools, quiet location right on the beach, small playground.
- Amari Koh Samui – Chaweng
Just completely rebuilt and refurbished and everything looks amazing. Great location for families.
- Poppies Samui – Chaweng
After Centara, this is probably the best hotel for families on Chaweng. Great beach and location. Stand alone cottages feel luxurious and charming.
- Chaweng Beachcomber – Chaweng
Beach front villas and large family suites are great value and the best “budget” choice on Chaweng beach.
- Blue Lagoon Hotel – Chaweng
Large bungalows, nice pool with kids pool.
- KC Resort And Over Water Villas Koh Samui – Chaweng
A wonderful resort on the northern edge of Chaweng (but not on the beach). Good value but not walking distance to very much.
- Sheraton Samui Resort – Chaweng Noi
1 and 2-bedroom suites right on the beach. Brand new hotel. Great pools, kids club, quiet beach.
- Cocopalm Beach Resort – Mae Nam
Large family Bungalows with private pool. Cheap for what you get. A few restaurants within walking distance but otherwise a little isolated.
- Pavilion Samui Boutique Resort – Lamai
The super-luxurious Beach Front Pool Residence is huge (sleeps 9), has 3 bedrooms, and private pool.
- Zara Beach Resort – Lamai
Great value for what you get. Wonderful villas with private pool are awesome for families. Only downside: They’re in Lamai (not my favorite place).