Updated: June 13, 2016
Tips and Recommendations
- HotelsCombined.com – A great website for finding hotels in Cancun.
- Isla Cancun (also known as the Hotel Zone) is shaped like a 7. Most resorts are on the back of the 7 and the beaches face east. The top of the 7 faces north and is semi-protected from direct ocean waves and has the most kid-friendly swimming. Ciudad Cancun (or downtown Cancun) is located inland and is where you’ll find the cheapest hotels and the best local food.
- The best local/Mexican restaurant near the beach is El Fish Fritanga. It’s on Isla Cancun but faces the lagoon, not the ocean. It’s much cheaper than most restaurants on the main beach. It’s popular with locals and has good seafood. The Taco Factory has the best pastor tacos in the hotel zone.
- The best tour in Cancun is the Cenote Day Tour which takes you to 4 amazing cenotes where you will swim, snorkel, and zipline. (Kids need to be 6 years or older.) Swimming in a cenote (a sinkhole filled with cool fresh water) is the highlight of any trip to the Yucatan and this is an easy way to see 4 really unique ones. Tour includes hotel pickup, lunch, snorkel gear, and life vests.
- Looking for something less touristy and not filled with package tourists? Try either Isla Mujeres (which has one of the most kid-friendly beaches in the Caribbean) or Tulum (90 minutes south of Cancun, great beaches, laid back boutique hotels).
The Best Kid Friendly Hotels in Cancun
This all-suites hotel is just what families need to relax and recharge in luxury. Every suite boasts ocean views of emerald waters (and nearby Isla Mujeres) from private balconies. The expansive suites provide a sunken living area to unwind. The private white sand beach leads to calm surf, perfect for young kids to swim and splash about. The Fiesta Kids Club, supervised beach and pool, interactive games, crafts, and other amusements make days easy to fill. Phone: +52 998 881-4200
JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa (luxury)
An oasis of luxury in the Hotel Zone. You are greeted by views of gorgeous white beaches and crystal blue waters. Guest rooms and suites are spacious and comfortable and bathrooms are well-appointed. Parents can take advantage of the Kids Club at sister property Marriott CasaMagna or have fun at the private beach or the outdoor children’s pool. Aquaworld, Kukulkids playground, and WetnWild water park are all close by to provide entertainment for kids and adults alike. Phone: +52 998 848-9600
Ritz-Carlton Cancun (luxury)
Located in the Hotel Zone on an expansive white beach along a beautiful stretch of coastline. All guest rooms and suites boast ocean views to take in the cerulean waters. Rooms are exquisitely furnished, spacious, and well-appointed. Attentive staff provide outstanding service for all of your needs during your stay including twice-daily housekeeping. Children can stay busy with the Ritz Kids Mayan Adventures program providing physical and creative activities. A fun kid’s menu will meet just about any young culinary whim. Give your kids a night filled with adventure (while parents have some time on their your own) with “Kid’s Night Out” – offered Fridays and Saturdays. Phone: +52 998 881-0808
The Royal Caribbean (moderate)
Nestled in the hotel zone on the shores of the lagoon. A wonderful choice for families looking for a great value with clean, large rooms and friendly staff. Guest rooms have two beds standard as well as ocean views. Access to sister properties allows an abundance of dining and activity options. A separate children’s pool gives kids a place to splash about. Although there is no official kids club program, the Royal has organized social activities for children, teens, and adults to keep everybody busy. Phone: 1-888-838-7842
Marriott CasaMagna Cancun Resort (moderate)
Located in the heart of the Hotel Zone, this resort has a superb beach overlooking turquoise waters and outstanding on-site restaurants covering just about any style of cuisine. The rooms are spacious and well-kept while the pools will entice anyone for a dip or perhaps a drink at one of the swim-up bars. Winner of the TripAdvisor Travellers’ choice awards for families, CasaMagna doesn’t disappoint. The Kid’s Club is one of the best for resorts in the area and children will have fun decorating cookies in the cocina or swimming in the children’s pool. Phone: +52 998 881-2000