Updated: August 21, 2016
Tips and Recommendations
- HotelsCombined.com – A great website for finding hotels in Cancun.
- Isla Cancun (also known as the Hotel Zone) is shaped like a 7. Most resorts are on the back of the 7 and the beaches face east. The top of the 7 faces north and is semi-protected from direct ocean waves and has the most kid-friendly swimming. Ciudad Cancun (or downtown Cancun) is located inland and is where you’ll find the cheapest hotels and the best local food.
- The best local/Mexican restaurant near the beach is El Fish Fritanga. It’s on Isla Cancun but faces the lagoon, not the ocean. It’s much cheaper than most restaurants on the main beach. It’s popular with locals and has good seafood. The Taco Factory has the best pastor tacos in the hotel zone.
- The best tour in Cancun is the Cenote Day Tour which takes you to 4 amazing cenotes where you will swim, snorkel, and zipline. (Kids need to be 6 years or older.) Swimming in a cenote (a sinkhole filled with cool fresh water) is the highlight of any trip to the Yucatan and this is an easy way to see 4 really unique ones. Tour includes hotel pickup, lunch, snorkel gear, and life vests.
- Looking for something less touristy and not filled with package tourists? Try either Isla Mujeres (which has one of the most kid-friendly beaches in the Caribbean) or Tulum (90 minutes south of Cancun, great beaches, laid back boutique hotels).
The Best Kid Friendly Hotels in Cancun
1. Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Resort – luxury
Hotel phone: +52 998 881-4200
Luxurious all-suites hotel that offers ocean views of emerald waters (and nearby Isla Mujeres) from private balconies. The expansive suites provide a sunken living area and lots of space. The private white sand beach leads to calm surf, perfect for young kids to swim and splash about. The Fiesta Kids Club, supervised beach and pool, interactive games, crafts, and other amusements make days easy to fill. This is not an all-inclusive which means you pay for your food but the quality is much higher – this place has some of the best restaurants of any Cancun resort.
2. JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa – luxury
Hotel phone: +52 998 848-9600
An oasis of luxury in the Hotel Zone. You are greeted by views of gorgeous white beaches and crystal blue waters. Guest rooms and suites are spacious and comfortable and bathrooms are well-appointed. Parents can take advantage of the Kids Club at sister property Marriott CasaMagna or have fun at the quiet beach or the outdoor children’s pool. Aquaworld, Kukulkids playground, and WetnWild water parks are all close by to provide entertainment for kids and adults alike.
3. Ritz-Carlton Cancun – luxury
Hotel phone: +52 998 881-0808
Located in the Hotel Zone on an expansive white beach along a beautiful stretch of coastline. All guest rooms and suites have ocean views to take in the cerulean waters. Rooms are exquisitely furnished, spacious, and well-appointed. Attentive staff provide outstanding service for all of your needs during your stay including twice-daily housekeeping. Children can stay busy with the Ritz Kids Mayan Adventures program providing physical and creative activities. A fun kid’s menu will meet just about any young culinary whim. Give your kids a night filled with adventure (while parents have some time on their your own) with “Kid’s Night Out” – offered Fridays and Saturdays.
4. The Royal Caribbean – moderate
Hotel phone: 1-888-838-7842
Nestled in the hotel zone on the shores of the lagoon. A wonderful choice for families looking for a great value with clean, large rooms and friendly staff. Guest rooms have two beds standard as well as ocean views. Access to sister properties allows an abundance of dining and activity options. A separate children’s pool gives kids a place to splash about. Although there is no official kids club program, the Royal has organized social activities for children, teens, and adults to keep everybody busy.
5. Marriott CasaMagna Cancun Resort – moderate
Hotel phone: +52 998 881-2000
Located in the heart of the Hotel Zone, this resort has a superb powdery beach overlooking turquoise waters and good on-site restaurants covering just about any style of cuisine. The rooms are spacious while the pools are well kept and beautiful. Winner of the TripAdvisor Travellers’ choice awards for families. The Kid’s Club is one of the best for resorts in the area and children will have fun decorating cookies in the cocina or swimming in the children’s pool.
And a Few More Family Hotels in Cancun
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Deluxe Family Rooms sleep family of 6.
Hotel phone: +52 998 881 3600
Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort
One Bedroom Villas sleep family of 4.
Hotel phone: +52 998 891 4200
Crown Paradise Club
King Rooms with Ocean Views sleep family of 5.
Hotel phone: +52 998 848 9000
Royal Solaris Cancun
Deluxe Family Rooms sleep family of 4.
Hotel phone: +52 998 848 8400
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
Deluxe Family Rooms sleep family of 4.
Hotel phone: 1-800 635-1836
Azul Beach Hotel
Family Swim-Up Suite sleeps family of 5.
Hotel phone: +52 998 872 8080
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
Junior Suites sleep family of 4.
Hotel phone: +52 984 877 2100