Updated: November, 2015
The best beaches in Bali are found in the south: around Kuta, Jimbaran, and the Bukit Peninsula. Some of these are also very busy (particularly the coast from Kuta to Seminyak). Hop in a taxi or rent a car and it’s easy to find some great stretches of sand with few other tourists around. Bali is a year round destination so concern about weather and seasons should not be a major concern when planning a trip. That said, the best weather on Bali is usually found between April and October.
On This Page
Tips and Recommendations
- My favorite beach town on Bali is Seminyak (nice beach, great resaurants, quality hotels). My favorite inland town is Ubud (wonderful art, culture, and food; surrounded by rice paddies and countryside).
- The best beach hotel on Bali is the Legian Bali in Seminyak. The best hotel in Ubud is the Viceroy Bali.
- The dry season in Bali runs from April to October. The wet season is from November to March. While there is more rain and less sun during the wet season it can still be an enjoyable time to visit – just be prepared for the occasional downpour.
- The best months for surfing are from May to September (generally the dry season) when the west coast beaches (Bingin, Canggu, Uluwatu, Padang Padang, and Impossibles) have the best surf. From October to April the best breaks are on the east coast beaches (Sanur, Serangan, Nusa Dua, Green Balls, Keramas).
- Kuta is great for learning how to surf and has many surf schools.
- The best restaurants on Bali are La Lucciola (Seminyak), Sardine (Kerobokan), and Mozaic (Ubud). The beach restaurants serving fresh seafood along Jimbaran beach should not be missed.
- Bali is an awesome destination for kids.
The 16 Best Beaches on Bali
Kuta – 10 minutes north of the airport
Tuban – 5 minutes south of Kuta
Legian – 5 minutes north of Kuta
Seminyak – 10 minutes north of Kuta
Canggu – 30 minutes north of Kuta
Jimbaran – 15 minutes south of Kuta
Nusa Dua – 30 minutes southeast of kuta
Balangan – 30 minutes south of Kuta
Bingin – 30 minutes south of Kuta
Dreamland Beach – 30 minutes south of Kuta
Lovina – 3 hours north of Kuta
Recommended Hotels: Rambutan Hotel (wonderful, family-friendly hotel)
Sanur – 30 minutes east of Kuta
Recommended Hotels: Tandjung Sari Hotel (charming Balinese style hotel, boutique luxury at very reasonable rates)
Dream Beach, Nusa Lembongan – 30 minute boat ride from Sanur
Padangbai – 1 hour east of Kuta
Recommended Hotels: Padang Bai Beach Resort (great place, super friendly)
Amed – 3 hours east of Kuta
Recommended Hotels: Villa Aquamarine (book far in advance)
Jemeluk Beach – 3 hours east of Kuta
The 5 Best Luxury Hotels on Bali
The Legian Bali Hotel – Seminyak
Hotel phone: +62 361 730622 • Reviews
Four Seasons Resort Bali – Jimbaran
Hotel phone: +62 361 701010 • Reviews
AYANA Resort and Spa – Jimbaran
Hotel phone: +62 361 702222 • Reviews
The St. Regis Resort Bali – Nusa Dua
Hotel phone: +62 361 8478111 • Reviews
Viceroy Bali – Ubud
Hotel phone: +62 361 971777 • Reviews