Updated June 14, 2016
Tips and Recommendations
- HotelsCombined.com – the best website for finding hotels and discounts in Athens.
- Athens is packed with tourists from early May until late October – book hotels as early as possible.
- The Plaka, Monastiraki, and Syntagma neighborhoods are the best areas for families to stay in Athens.
- The farther north you go (away from the Plaka and closer to Omonia) the uglier and sketchier the city gets. The bad areas are generally still safe but not terribly pleasant. Stay south of Sofokleous street to avoid the worst areas.
- Athens can easily fill 2 or 3 days of sightseeing but the highlights can be seen in one full (busy) day.
- The highlight of Athens is the Acropolis (GetYourGuide has a good skip-the-line tour). If you only have time to see one attraction then make it the Acropolis (and it’s main building, the Parthenon).
The 7 Best Family Hotels in Athens
Ava Hotel and Suites
(Hotel phone: +30 21 0325 9000)
The service and amenities of a 5 star hotel with the friendliness of a family run B&B. A perfect location on a quiet street in the Plaka. Great breakfast and close to the Akropoli metro station. Some rooms have kitchenettes.
Athens Ledra Hotel
(Hotel phone: +30 21 0930 0000)
Great rooftop pool and good sized family rooms that can fit a cot. Location is not ideal. It’s within walking distance of the major sights but you’ll likely use taxi or the hotel’s shuttle to get to the Plaka and Acropolis.
Dorian Inn Hotel
(Hotel phone: +30 21 0523 1753)
One of the cheapest hotels in central Athens with a pool – rooftop on the 12th floor with great views. There are triple rooms (3 single beds) and family rooms (4 single beds). Located near Omonia Square which is scruffy but not dangerous. Walking distance to top sights and very short walk to the metro – with direct trains to Piraeus ferry port.
(Hotel phone: +30 21 0335 1000)
Great location. A very good breakfast is included and served on the rooftop restaurant with amazing views of the Acropolis. Large triples and quads are available for families. Furnishings are a bit dated but the hotel makes a good mid-range choice near Syntagma Square and its metro stop.
The Westin Athens Astir Palace Beach Resort
(Hotel phone: +30 21 0890 2000)
Located outside the city on its own private peninsula. Wonderful beaches, pools, restaurants, and activities.
Palmyra Beach Hotel
(Hotel phone: +30 210 8981183)
Good value hotel. 2-bedroom family rooms sleep 5. Nice pool and close to shopping, restaurants, and Glyfada beach. The tram to central Athens (30 minutes) is just outside the hotel.
(Hotel phone: +30 21 3023 7244)
Nice budget hotel/hostel with a large quadruple room perfect for families. Walking distance to the Plaka.
More Family-Friendly Hotels in Athens
- The Athens Gate Hotel (large interconnecting double rooms)
- Plaka Hotel Athens (family room with interconnecting door)
- A for Athens (family rooms have 1 double bed, 1 bunk bed, and 1 sofa bed)
- New Hotel (large interconnecting rooms)
- Athens Lotus Hotel (family rooms have 3 beds and 2 bathrooms)
- Centrotel (triple and family rooms)
- Myrto Hotel (large family rooms at friendly budget hotel)